Friday, July 22, 2011

EAT & H

I have two more recent crafts to share.  Since Derrick and I have gotten our own place, we need some serious decorating!  The dining room is the newest space that I have added a little decoration to. 

First off, I made this EAT sign that I found here

I loved the idea of it, and it was the easiest craft I have done in a while!  All you need is cardboard letters that you can find at most craft stores, scrapbook paper, sissors, and Mod Podge. 

Next up on the agena was this washer art that I found here

I have been wanting to make this forever, but was debating on what to create out of my washers and worried I would mess it up.  (That's the perfectionist in me.  If I don't start a project, I can't mess it up!) 

Here are the supplies you need to create your own washer art.

Canvas in any size you want
Washers in three different sizes
Paint
Polyurethane
Sand paper
Heavy duty glue

As you can see, my canvas is no longerwhite (at least I kind of remembered to take this picture.)  First you paint your canvas whatever color you want to show through the sanding (or you don't have to paint it at all like the original post.)  I chose to paint mine like this to match the colors in my EAT sign and to have a little bit of craziness in it. 

After that was painted, I sprayed a coat of polyurethane on it to keep that color from coming off when I sanded it.  Then I painted the whole canvas two coats of black.  Once that had completely dried, I went outside and sanded off some of the black so I could see the color through it. 

Once it was sanded, it was time to place the washers where I wanted them.  This was definitely the hardest part.  Since I had three sizes, it just wasn't coming together so easily.  It really was like a puzzle.  Once they were where I wanted them, I started to glue them down.  I used Quick Grip which I think worked really well, but it should be used in a ventilated area (think rubber cement.)  Once that is done, you end up with this!

Here is our dining room with the EAT sign and the H! :) 

Our apartment is finally coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment